Dr. Jonathan Burroughs new book, Redesign the Medical Staff Model: A Guide to Collaborative Change is now available through Health Care Administration Health. Here is what the publisher has to say about the book:
Healthcare organizations are facing many challenges in this new era of healthcare reform, one of which is to establish a new operating model for the organized medical staff. Deeply rooted in tradition, the current medical staff model can no longer hold in an environment where quality, safety, service, and cost-effectiveness are required for healthcare organizations to not only survive but truly thrive. In this book, the author, an experienced physician leader and healthcare consultant, describes key changes that must be made to redesign the medical staff model. He provides specific guidance and examples to help healthcare leaders and executives work with their physician leaders to face these changes successfully. Well-regarded contributors and subject matter experts offer additional examples and insights with special content throughout the book.
The author provides an in-depth look into:
- The evolution of the physician culture from autonomy to collaboration and accountability that must take place for US healthcare providers to remain competitive in an increasingly global economy
- Select strategic medical staff development planning and credentialing/privileging approaches that are needed to ensure physician–organization alignment
- Components of an effective and rigorous performance management system that enables leaders to help physicians achieve mutually agreed-on goals and metrics and align them with those of the organization
- Medical staff performance assessment and improvement activities, including peer review best practices, ways to incentivize excellence, and how to address issues in a timely, compassionate way
- Negotiation of performance expectations with management and the hospital’s board that are consistent with the organization’s strategic plan
- Physician engagement and alignment strategies that will enable physicians and management to work together to achieve the goals of population health and reduced operating costs
Healthcare executives and administrators, physician executives, and board leaders can use this book as a guide to learn from organizations that have successfully integrated and aligned with their medical staffs into a collaborative environment. Examples of organizations with medical staffs that have made a complete commitment to the success of their enterprises and the health of their communities are incorporated throughout the book.
You can purchase the book directly online by clicking here now.
I’ve just spoken with Dr. Burroughs regarding the purchase of his book “Redesign the Medical Staff Model,” and he asked that we contact Ms. O’Connor regarding this purchase. Dr. Michael Ugwueke, our President/COO, is interested in purchasing 15 of these books to pass along to our Medical Staff Officers here at Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare.
Phyllis Gatlin, Assistant
Office of Michael Ugwueke, President/COO
Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare, 1211 Union Avenue, Suite 700, Memphis, TN 38104
Tel: 901-516-0937 ~ Fax: 901-516-0842 ~ E-mail: [email protected]